The Bauer House
86 Dole Avenue
The Bauer House was the residence of A. R. Bauer, son of Henry J. Bauer, one of the pioneer garage men of Crystal Lake. Henry Bauer came to Crystal Lake in 1908 and instead of managing farms as he had done previously, or operating a general merchandise store as he had done for several prior years, he pioneered in automobile garage work, later branching into the oil business. In 1914, the then existing Bauer building on Railroad Street was demolished and in its place a modern structure housing the garage, auto salesroom and repair shop was constructed at the cost of approximately $12,000. The façade with light green glazed brick trimmed in white and ornamented with carved stone is as distinctive today. In 1920, Henry J. Bauer announced his retirement and turned over the business to his two sons, A. R. Bauer and E. H. Bauer who were associated with him since the business started.